Hurricane Matthew Insurance Claims – Wind & Flood Damage – Business Interruption Losses

Attorney Tom Young represents home owners and businesses throughout the southeastern United States.

Attorney Tom Young represents home owners and businesses throughout the southeastern United States.

Louisiana attorney J.R. Whaley has extensive experience representing clients after Hurricane Katrina and the historic 2016 Baton Rouge floods.

Louisiana attorney J.R. Whaley has extensive experience representing clients after Hurricane Katrina and the historic 2016 Baton Rouge floods.

Let our adjuster, rather than the one hired by the insurance company, give you a fair appraisal of your damages after Hurricane Matthew. We will evaluate your loss and negotiate a complete settlement of your claim for flood, storm surge and/or wind damage, as well as any business losses. You will be involved in every step of the process but with the support of our legal and estimation team. Don’t go it alone.

We are dedicated to helping those in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina recover from the devastation of Hurricane Matthew. Full and fair payments to victims from insurance companies are a critical part of that recovery. We want to make sure that happens. Frequently disagreements arise between policyholders and insurers over whether loss was caused by wind or water. These “wind/water” disputes can derail your claim. Let us help.

We can also assist commercial entities, from small businesses to Fortune 500 concerns, with claims arising under their business interruption policies. We represent thousands of businesses that have suffered economic losses after disasters, from Hurricane Katrina to the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, recovering hundreds of millions of dollars for our satisfied clients. But don’t take our word for it, see what our clients have to say about our work (please note that past results do not guarantee future success).

Consultation is free. Contact us today by filling out our form or by calling us at 813-251-9706.

In the meantime, please stay safe, and check out this recorded webinar about how to handle your flood insurance, homeowners insurance, or business interruption claim.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • I lost everything. What does my flood policy cover?

Standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage.

A standard flood policy covers up to $250,000 for the structure of the home and $100,000 for personal possessions. Structural damages are calculated using either replacement cost, which will pay the amount needed to rebuild or repair the home to the condition it was in prior to the flooding, or actual cash value which will only pay the replacement cost minus the depreciation. Whether your policy is a replacement or actual cash value depends on the value of your home and the size of your insurance policy.  Damages to personal possessions, however, are calculated using actual cash value. In other words, the older the possessions are, the less value the homeowner will be able to recover. Excess flood policies to cover damages in excess of $250,000 in structural damage and $100,000 in damages to personal property are available.

  • I thought the government was paying these claims?

A flood insurance policy is obtained from an insurer that is authorized to issue and administer policies through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a program established by Congress in 1968 to help provide means for homeowners to protect themselves. It is typically an insurance company that issues and administers the policy. Some policies are also issued directly by FEMA.

The federal government, through FEMA, issues some monetary relief, up to $33,000, for people affected by the disaster. But that relief is not for flood policy claims.

  • Is the adjuster working for the government or my insurance company?
The adjuster is not a federal employee. The adjuster is likely hired by your insurance company to adjust claims and estimate your losses, or he may work for a company contracted by your insurance company to do that.
No. To begin the claims process, you need to inform your insurance company of the loss. Filing a claim for relief with FEMA is not the same thing. If you do not know your insurer or cannot reach your agent, call the NFIP Claims Call Center at 1-800-621-3362.
  • Are there timelines for filing a claim with my flood insurer?
Yes. And those time limits are strictly enforced. You have to file a Proof of Loss within 60 days of the loss. Although requests are frequently made to extend the 60-day filing deadline, no request is guaranteed to be granted. Homeowners should not rely upon the possible extension. Homeowners should file their claims as quickly as possible, but only after ensuring that the full value of their losses is considered.
  • What’s the difference between a Notice of Loss and a Proof of Loss?
The Notice of Loss put the insurer on notice that you have a claim. The Proof of Loss is the actual calculation of the value of the claim and the “Net Amount Claimed” under the policy. That Proof of Loss has to be signed by the insured. Before submitting and signing a Proof of Loss, you want to make sure that all costs are included. Remember that the adjuster who is coming to your home to do the estimation does not work for you. He works for the insurance company. You might want to confirm that the full value of your claim is being submitted by having an independent estimation done.
  • So the insurance company will pay whatever number I put on the Proof of Loss?
No. Your insurance company does not have to pay the amount claimed. Like any other property loss, the insurance company might evaluate your losses differently and pay less than what you claim are the costs of repair.
  • I’m not sure if I have flood insurance. What do I do?
Call the NFIP Claims Call Center at 1-800-621-3362, with information about your flooded property.
  • My insurance company is not paying me a fair amount. What can I do about it?
Contact us today to schedule a visit from our adjuster who works for you and not your insurance company. No costs or fees unless we recover for you.